Streamside on Fall River Lodging on Fall River
Fall River Fishing Report
Courtesy of Kirk's Fly Shop.
Species of fish in the Fall River
- Predominately rainbow and brown trout, with an occasional brook trout and an even more occasional greenback cutthroat.
- Most of the natural fish are brown trout ranging from 6 inches up to 16 inches, averaging 8-10 inches.
- There are some natural rainbow trout, but most in the Fall River have been stocked.
Note: Streamside Cabins stocks the river with Rainbow trout on site, throughout the summer. Fish right by your river-front cabin or condo suite!
Fly fishing Techniques for the Fall River
- Short casts no more than 20 ft. The shorter the cast the more realistic the drift.
- Always fish upstream to keep from spooking the fish, since they face up stream.
- If dry fly fishing be sure the fly is floating well; using floatant is a good idea.
- If nymph fishing us a small natural looking indicator (green) to keep from spooking the fish.
- Use 7 ½ foot 5X leader, with 6X tippet.
- 3, 4 or 5 weight fly rods will work best; 7 ½ to 9 ft in length.
Fly Fishing Report
- Spring time:
For best results, fish the deeper holes using nymphs such as Tungsten prince nymph #14, Tungsten pheasant tail #14, or Tungsten micro may fly #14, trailing with RS2 dun #18 or 20, Copper ribbed RS2 #20,or a Black beauty #20. If there is surface action use a Silhouette dun #20 or a parachute Adam #18 or 20.
- Summer time:
After run off, best luck using a Elk hair caddis #14 or #16, Stone fly stimulator #16 or a Schlotter's hopper #14. Drop with either a copper beaded Micro May #18 or a gold beaded Pheasant tail #18.
- Fall time:
Use Caddis and hopper flies, trailed with small bead-head nymph in early fall. In colder weather the fish will move to the deeper holes and mainly look for nymphs. Try using a Tungsten beaded Micro May #16, trail with a #20 RS2.
- Winter time:
The River is mostly iced over.
Spin fishing suggestions
- Small Mepps spinners or Panther Martins can be particularly affective in high water.
- 2# or #4 Pound test and no bigger.
Thank you to Kirk's Fly Shop for our Fall River Trout Fishing Report!
230 E. Elkhorn Ave
Estes Park, CO 80517
Contact Us at - email@example.com